Warding off Winter flu: advice from Dr Helen Smith
Although it’s still pretty common to see people in short sleeves in Auckland, the colder temperatures around the country have kept a lot of people at home with the flu. I thought that was a good reason to share this great advice on natural foods, vitamins and herbs to help you stay healthy from Dr. Helen Smith.
- Onions and garlic are great natural anti-virals and anti-biotics so keep these up in foods or soups over winter. They are rich in natural sulphur antibiotic.
- Honey especially manuka honey has antibacterial and antiviral properties and mixes well into a drink of ginger and lemon with hot water.
- Fluids are important if you have a cold or stomach bug or flu – sip on warm herbal teas or sip on chicken soup broth with some added sea salt and onions and garlic to help fight off the flu.
- If feeling cold and shivery add extra blankets to heat up the body and help fight off the flu. You could also try a hot bath with Epsom salts – the Epsom salts contain magnesium to relieve aches and sulphur to help fight off infections.
- Seaweeds like wakame added into plain boiled basmati rice can be soothing to eat or try miso soup to sip on or stewed apple with a little clove and cinnamon to help settle your stomach.
- You can get herbal tablets or liquids with olive leaf, Echinacea, astragalus to help fight the virus or infection
- You can make sure your immune system is fit to fight invaders by keeping up your intake of probiotics or fermented kefir foods and getting enough sleep at night where possible.
- Vitamin D kept at a good high level with summer time UV light or Vitamin D capsules helps kill off and prevent flu viruses.
- Vitamin A is also important (cod liver oils like Blue Ice) and Vitamin C as well as zinc.
- Iodine or kelp in sea salt helps keep your metabolism going well. Iodine or kelp (rich in iodine) are natural anti-infectives and useful for killing off bacteria and viruses in the body.
- Some people like to use home remedies like colloidal silver drops, Koromiko homeopathic for diarrhoea and other homeopathics to support the body through fevers and colds.
- Consult your GP or holistic doctor if you are not coming right or there are any worrying signs like lots of high fevers continuing, green phlegm and worsening breathing or dehydration developing or if worried.
- Generally plenty of rest, fluids, chicken or vegetable broths and simple fluids and foods will get you through most things while your body’s own immune system does its amazing work.
Dr. Helen Smith is a holistic medical doctor who has been working in medicine for over 20 years. The last 10 years have been with a completely nutritional and holistic focus. Educated at the University of Western Australia Dr Helen has lived and worked in Auckland, New Zealand for over 17 years helping patients with an emphasis on natural options for their health needs.